Monday 25 May 2015

Travel - Packing like a pro (with a difference)

Before I travel, I spend weeks reading blogs and travel websites, looking to pick up travel tips, particularly about packing.  Most posts share a common theme - don't overpack!  For me, this is almost impossible.  It doesn't matter if I am going away for five days or five weeks, I want to take everything.  Just in case. So - this post does not focus on packing lightly, instead, it's about how to pack everything, but the kitchen sink, and get away with it.
 
Tip 1 - Know your limits

Whether you are flying with one airline, or multiple, (or travelling by bus or rail) it is really important to know what the baggage limits are, for both checked luggage and carry-on.  Also check what the costs are for extra baggage and whether you can pre-pay (as it is often cheaper).  Some airlines offer 'first bag flies free' for their members (United in the USA is one example).  Signing up for airline membership before you get to the airport can save you lots in luggage costs - depending on how many flights you have with that particular airline, membership costs can work out cheaper.  Also, check what your carry on includes.  For some airlines, this is one bag and one 'personal item' (eg handbag, large coat etc).  You don't want to be caught out and have to check bags at the gate, which is even more expensive.

Another important thing - know what your case weighs.  Some cases weigh 4-5kgs, others as little as 1kg.  This makes a big difference to what you can actually pack.  If you are going on a big trip (or travel regularly) it may be worth investing in a superlight suitcase.  This goes for your laptop too - a lightweight laptop or tablet can make a big difference to your overall weight limits.

Before you travel, buy a small travel scale (you can get them for a couple of bucks at dollar stores), and take it with you.  Check your bags before you get to the airport, so you can rearrange (and not be that person repacking your case at the check in desk).

Tip 2 - Fitting the most in

There is an ongoing debate about whether rolling or folding your clothing fits more in.  Personally I roll; my partner folds.  Either way, there are a few little tips to make the most of your room.  Shoes go on the bottom of the bag, with socks and other small items (gloves, scarves, singlets) stuffed inside the shoes.  You can also use small items (rolled) around the outside of shoes to make the most of your space.  Pack small items (t-shirts, nail polish, hand cream) inside your clutches to make the most of space, and pack these things on the bottom layer with your shoes.  If you fold, you can place folded items on top of the bottom layer of shoes.  Next, heavier items such as jeans, jumpers and coats.  Delicate items should be placed on top at one end of the case, and your toiletries at the other.  I always pack toiletries last; firstly because these are the last things I use, and secondly, because if security check anything in your bag, its likely to be your toiletries and this saves them digging through the entire case.

Remember to use the outer pockets of your case - these can provide that extra space that you need to pack all your bits and pieces.  They are also handy for packing flat shoes, chargers or other items you might want to get to easily.

Tip 3 - Carry on

 If I am worried about weight, I wear my heaviest items - jeans, boots, shirt, light jacket and (if it's cold) I carry my heavier jacket.  Most flights I get really cold, and if I don't wear it on the plane, it makes a comfy pillow.  Even on long haul flights, I wear my heavy items, and change into my 'comfy' clothes on the plane.  It can be a little annoying, but my travel clothes (tights and a big t-shirt) are really light, so I prefer to have them in my suitcase.

I always pack heavier items in my carry on - some airlines weigh them, but all airlines weigh your checked luggage.  If you are only over by a couple of kgs, they will probably let you slide.  So, apart from toiletries (remember liquid restrictions on international flights) my heavy stuff goes in carry on.  I also carry my book, iPad and other various heavy personal items in my hand bag (again, less likely to be weighed).

Tip 4 - Be organised

Have the things you need at the airport or before take off at the top of your carry on.  You don't want to be that person in the security line or on the plane digging around in your bag for your liquids or the book you want to read during take off.  Your passport and boarding pass should be handy.  Place your liquids in a clear bag before you get to the airport for easy removal at security.  The same goes for your checked luggage.  If you know what you will be wearing in the first day or so, try and pack this towards the top of your case, to save having to rustle through the entire bag. 

I always take a spare change of clothes in my carry on, in case my checked luggage goes missing.  Usually this consists of jeans (heavy item) and a nice shirt, which canbe dressy if need be.  Important paperwork also makes it into my carry on, as does a certified copy of my passport and other ID.  Don't worry too much about mini toiletries - you can always buy these at your destination.  In fact, if you are travelling for a lengthy time (three weeks or more) don't bother packing shampoo, conditioner, soap, toothpaste, hairspray etc - all of this can be purchased at your destination.  Remember, these things weigh A LOT, and the cost to buy them will be less than the cost of extra luggage.

Before you leave, work out what you actually need.  I don't mean clothes (I'll talk about this below).  That hair dryer you think you need - probably not.  Yes, hotel hair dryers can take longer to use, but it saves weight and space.  And do you really need three black singlets when your accommodation has a washing machine? 

Tip 5 - Work out your outfits

Ok - I know I said I wasn't focusing on packing lightly, but there are a few things here to consider.  Know your climate (seems obvious, but I have made this mistake before).  If you are going to a tropical, or reasonably warm, climate, one pair of jeans will probably do, but you might want to pack multiple sun dresses, shorts and t-shirts.  If you are travelling to a cold climate, it is a little tricker.  Winter clothes are so much heavier and bulkier.  Try to choose versatile items - neutral colours for your tops and bottoms, jeans, and a black jacket.  You can accessorise (scarves and jewellery are generally lighter than that bright pink jacket) to keep outfits looking fresh.  Also, choose comfy, practical yet nice shoes, particularly if you are going to be doing a lot of walking.  I learnt the hard way that heeled boots are not the best option for walking around NYC.

Being a little bit shoe obsessed, I generally take way too many heels and end up wearing the same pair over again.  I now take one pair of black heels and one other pair of heels (or heeled boots, depending on the climate), one pair of flats and flat boots.  I always end up buying shoes, even when I say I won't, and then I wear my new shoes.  This goes for other items too - if you know you are going to buy something, don't pack it unless you absolutely need too.  One black clutch will generally suffice.  And, as hard as it is to not take my nicest pieces of jewellery, I leave anything with sentimental (or actual) value at home.  Luggage does go missing, pick pocketing does happen, and hotel maids are notoriously light fingered.  If you forget to put your jewellery in your room safe, and it grows legs, your travel insurance probably won't cover it.

Tip 6 - Pack the night before

 Packing can be the start of an exciting trip, but when you are heading home (or packing for the tenth time in two weeks) it starts to get pretty old. Sometimes you just want to leave it until the morning you leave, but trust me, this is a recipe for leaving items behind, or running late for your flight.  Even if you only pack half of your bag the night before, it will save you time in the morning.  It will also give you another opportunity to do one more check of the hotel room before you leave.  Make sure you shake out the sheets and look under the bed (and in the washer/dyer if you used them).  Socks and undies love hiding!  And don't forget your phone/laptop chargers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment